Floating Islands (update 2)

Islands are finally done – for now. I’ve managed to finish this project and pass an exam with the highest grade (It was my project for university). You can check the walkthrough video below.

My job was to use all UDK’s sample content to create something extraordinary with one rule: “Make two paths from point A to point B, one with obstacles”. You can tell that jumping on the rocks supposed to be the harder route, because it requires you to jump. There’s another, much longer route by the stairs.

I’m not done with this project yet! UDK is great tool to quickly set-up your world with sample assets. But you know whats better? Unreal Engine 4. Floating Islands are going to be my bachelors degree project so if I’m gonna make improvements to this world, I’ll need to change my tools. I’ve already played around with UE4 before getting started with UDK and I can already tell, that thanks to my little experience with both tools, I am able to re-create the whole project with much more efficiency then if I were to keep on improving it in UDK alone.

EDIT: I didn’t had time to update it to the UE4, but I managed to finish this project in time and pass my bacherols degree 🙂 Below is my updated video.

Watch

Screenshots

UDK – Floating Islands.

Step 1: palm trees grow on islands

Floating Islands is a project for studies. We’re limited to use UDK so it’s a little step backward for me. Gaah, that interface 🙁 The plan is to make 1 level where player needs to go from point A to B directly or by alternative route. See that island on the left? Thats my point B. I’m going to put a lot of floating rocks and lower the gravity a bit for some jump-action.

Performance wise, I’ve discovered that default UDK’s grass isn’t well optimised. Static mesh doesn’t have any LOD meshes and the best way to gain some performance is to force it disappear from the screen somehow (‘m not an expert, but I know some stuff). But I wanted to see more grass in the distance! So I imported this grass into Blender somehow, put 2 planes in the center, fix UV maps and export it back inside UDK. Now just set LOD 1 mesh, tweak some properties and Voila! From 50 to 100 FPS just as it should be. Now the rendering runs much faster and I can still see some grass in the distance 🙂 Screenshot below:

Screenshot_2zoom